Monday, March 7, 2011

365 days of aRt. DAY ONE HUNDRED & FORTY-FOUR.



i've broken down the biggest wall
though i put it there myself
and all these years i've lived in vain
just trying to get help
blaming things and others
for the pain that i had felt
but pain's desire in disguise
and mine was surely dealt
(canvas text)


Blog about the piece:
At the moment I'm head over heels for a New York Times Bestseller, THE HAPPINESS PROJECT. For anyone who's ever made a resolution and hasn't stuck with it, this book is for you. Within the first five pages I realized that I was going about making and breaking my resolutions in all the wrong ways. Five pages, that's all it took for me to connect with GRETCHEN RUBIN's words. After five pages I not only wanted to start my own happiness project, but I also felt this urge to want to invite RUBIN out for a cup coffee. And this is why:
Page ONE: "One April day, on a morning just like every other morning, I had a sudden realization: I was in danger of wasting my life."
Page TWO:"I wasn't depressed and I wasn't having a midlife crisis, but I was suffering from midlife malaise -- a recurrent sense of discontent and almost a feeling of disbelief. Can this be me?"
Page THREE: "I grasped two things: I wasn't as happy as I could be, and my life wasn't going to change unless I made it change. In that single moment, with that realization, I decided to dedicate a year to trying to be happier."
Page FOUR: "They say that people teach what they need to learn. By adopting the role of happiness teacher, if only for myself, I was trying to find the method to conquer my particular faults and limitations."
Page FIVE: "It was time to expect more of myself. Yet as I thought about happiness I kept running up against paradoxes. I wanted to change myself but accept myself. I wanted to take myself less seriously and also more seriously. I wanted to use my time well, but I also wanted to run, to play, to read at whim. I wanted to think about myself so I could forget myself."
Are you hooked yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment