Saturday, October 22, 2011

365 days of aRt. DAY ONE HUNDRED & SIXTY-FIVE.



the leaves all start changing
and it's her time to go
can't stick around for winter
love lost itself in the snow
and i guess life's funny like that
the best things leave in the cold
but what does that say about me
the wind just keeps blowing me home
(canvas text)


Blog about the piece: I used to be the one away. The one working in another state, traveling down an unknown road, meeting unfamiliar faces. I thought things were better because of it. I thought to be someone you had to leave home. It's a very conditioned response -- the person that leaves becomes someone amazing and returns home only as a visitor, far removed from their roots. But why would this make me a better person? Was I a better person to have had this far away, forget where I came from kind of life? I have to say that there is a beauty in leaving home, and yes I do think it is something everyone should experience at least once in their lives. The sweet taste of reckless abandon is one I will never forget. It's the taste that makes us better. We discover life outside our local paradigm. And it doesn't have to take years, or months or even weeks. Some of my best AH-HA moments were driving through foreign towns or speaking for a second with a stranger. It's these mini monumental occasions that help us grow from our roots, not without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment