Thursday, February 11, 2010

365 days of aRt. DAY TWENTY-THREE



tumble out of my head
and lye in the hands of time
on the edge of my reality i let the minutes rewind
and i preview the present
in an altered state of mind
one thing at a time
and one time for everything
the clock slowly blinks
irrelevant readings
and i'm starting to see things differently
the material world shrinks
and i'm above what i think
above what i know and what you believe
i've inhaled this moment
and have exhaled eternity
it breathes through me
and i am conscious when it leaves
realizing the sadness isn't as deep as i thought it would be
lying just underneath
the scars that i've healed that nobody sees
they no longer bleed
but i touch on the memory
awake in my dreams
slipping away from it all comes so easily

I can't believe how often I forget about the voice within me that doesn't hesitate to speak when I take the time to listen. Last night as part of my schoolwork I read, and really listened to Jack Kerouac (one of my all-time favorite authors). Kerouac, as some of you may know, was a poet from the fifties. He wrote some of the best literature depicting the Beat generation, such as ON THE ROAD and BIG SUR. To me, Kerouac's words have the effect of painting scenes like Monet's brush. I read and I couldn't help but be inspired; I couldn't help but pay attention to that small voice inside that wanted to shout poetic flows and lyrical verse alongside Kerouac's rhyme schemes. And I thought, why can't everyday be a day for Kerouac writing and Monet painting? Why are we so quick to caution-tape our creative side? CANVAS VOICE has inspired me to snip my own caution tape and to pay more attention to my creative voice. What will inspire you to do the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment